After the fall… I have been taking time to make the build as safe as possible. Here is what I have been working on…
- Getting the boat back in place
She fell backwards about a foot and a half, destroying the gangway and many supports at the back of the scaffolding. So I had to climb under my beautiful, but unstable boat and reset the jacks to get her back up and off the scaffolding. Scary. Then she had to come forward, so with the help of a bunch of wheels and a chain hoist I pulled her to a good spot. Whew.
- Design out any weakness in the lift system
Obviously, the jack cradles were a bust (literally), but I also had issues with the 4x4s that I used before twisting. Looking back, knowing what I do now I would have poured a concrete foundation to make things stable and safe. Without it I run the risk of jacks or jack stands shifting and tipping. This was the problem when the boat fell down the first time.
I decided I needed a big steel frame to hold the jacks and jack stands so they were stable. Designing it was easy, but building it meant that I needed to reconfigure my wood shop.
- Convert the shop to metal and relearn to weld
It has been more than 20 years since I did any welding. I took a class at the local Techshop for MIG to get my feet wet. Reading about heavy duty welds pointed me at stick welding, so I bought my first stick welding machine and practiced. I moved all of my wood tools to the side (sadly) and picked up a metal cutting saw, grinder, and plasma cutter. Turns out… working with metal is even more fun than I remembered. Sure I started a couple of fires, but its been a couple of months and my welds are looking pretty good. Done.
- Fabricate new lift system
Just finished this part. Installed the front lift system and will work on installing the back next week.
Sorry for the lack of photos and posts. Rest assured, I’m making progress; it just hasn’t been on the boat itself. Can’t wait to spin her and get to work on stripping and building out a double-keel. CAN’T WAIT!